Skip to main content

Reply to "Summer Ball, Yes Or No?"

@d-mac posted:

Everything trickles down.  Team USA had some guys decline invitations.  The fall off in the Cape has been drastic and it happened fast.   Guys  who would have never been invited in years past are not just playing, they are doing well.  The pitchers didn't show up.  The SEC arms stayed home for the most part.

I think at the top schools, the solution is going to be creating your own version of driveline, tread, etc.  Players will stay home in the Summer and train.  The pitchers that need reps will throw live AB's to the hitters and it is a win/win for everyone.  If you are trying to play at one of the top 25 schools, it does you no good to face pitching during the Summer that is two levels below what you see in conference.

While I said Summer ball will be dead soon, that was too dramatic.  There will always be a need, but there needs to be some contraction.  It is still important for guys in the portal, guys coming off injury or guys who need reps.  Plus, Northwoods is a fun league.  Not everyone is training for the MLB or trying to be an SEC starter.  Some just love the game and a league like Northwoods will always appeal to those players.       

This is an interesting point, with the major emphasis on velocity for pitchers, and also with the use of trackman on pitch design, I do think many pitchers who would go to summer leagues are opting for programs that offer both those two elements plus injury prevention weight training.  I also think that with so many more DII and DIII guys reaching low to mid 90's, that there are spots being open up for them in leagues like the Cape.  Still only 1 or 2 per team on the cape, but far more in some of the next tier down leagues.

Position players still  need live game, but many of the programs you mention like Driveline are luring even pro players to their hitting programs.  It makes sense that it entices colleges hitters to do the same.  Plus with the extra years for them, it might be delaying their trips to summer ball.  I know programs like Cressey Sport Performance in MA place some of the pitchers they work with during their Elite Summer collegiate training program into the cape league at the very end of the season.