Skip to main content

Reply to "Summer Before Freshman Year"

PABaseball posted:

Legion? Your son is heading to college, he should not be playing against 16 year olds. Plus the good high schoolers will be traveling playing against competition. Playing against JV players won't help him get ready for his 22 year old teammates with full beards he'll be competing with for playing time starting in August. I get wanting to play with friends, but once HS ends, it ends. 

I would agree with this...there are plenty of opportunities available for kids to play 18U baseball....especially as a pitcher.  The summer after my son's senior year he played on an 18U team that probably used 18-20 pitchers in 5 weeks just due to the fact that every kid wanted to throw some....but none wanted to throw a lot.  Most of the 18U teams are made of almost solely of kids who will be heading off to college at some level.....as opposed to Legion teams who may have HS sophomores and juniors who aren't even top level HS kids.    I wouldn't think it'd be hard to find a team willing to take on another college-bound pitcher....even if your son tells them he is on a strict innings count