Skip to main content

Reply to "Summer College Ball Update"

Pretty good article about the current state of collegiate summer leagues. (Unfortunately, it's behind a paywall.) Kind of amazing how much ingenuity people are bringing to this problem. It also mentions some of the local leagues that have popped up all over the country to fill the void. We have one in my area. Lots of local college kids playing under less than ideal circumstances. Constantly changing rules and field availability. One of the state's guidelines is for the catcher to stay 6' from the batter. How?

https://www.baseballamerica.co...unprecedented-season

1. Paywalls are good things — the one on my web site is feeding my family. It was a good article.

2. We have a league here in Des Moines with two teams playing weekend doubleheaders. It's been a nice experience in a minor league park and felt very secure for spectators, although maybe less so for players (teenagers don't get social distancing). They also are hosting high school games during the week, our varsity is slated to play there tomorrow. Usually that's an experience that only teams playing in the state tournament get, so it's pretty cool for a lot of our small schools.

3. Son is getting his COVID test today so he can go play with the Northwoods. Sounds like they will have to have a negative test within a period of time in order to travel to other communities. Speaking as one who has been tested, if kids are willing to have someone drive a swab into their brains to play baseball, they really want to play!