Skip to main content

Reply to "Summer Collegiate League Assignments"

My son played in the Great Lakes League last year also. We were really excited to have him close to home. The GM sent out these great emails about how seriously they took their responsibility to our son's development and overall experience. 

So the team had five outfielders. The coach promised the college coaches of two of them they would get the majority of playing time leaving the three others to share playing time. To be clear at one point my son was hitting over .400 with an OBP of over .700 and was sitting the bench behind a kid hitting .120. My son's coach called and was told playing time for the kid would increase, never did, the guy lied. I don't know where the GM found this HC but he was terrible. We had a loaded team on paper, more DI players than any other team in the league and we still finished in last place I believe. Looking at other teams rosters we noticed they'd have hitting, pitching coaches etc. Some listed a seamstress. The GM was in charge of uniforms, washing them and such. The kid said they played in dirty uniforms often. I could go on. The one bright spot was the host family. They were salt of the earth. Fed the kid, made sure he didn't want for anything, had two great kids my son really enjoyed spending time with. He also did really enjoy his teammates. Even the two outfielders that received preferential treatment. He was like "it's not their fault". So it wasn't all bad.

My advice, before you commit to play find out how playing time will be allotted. If it's not merit based you better make sure the college coach has some idea of the situation he's sending your son into. 

Last edited by SomeBaseballDad