Skip to main content

Reply to "Summer Collegiate League Assignments"

CmassRHPDad posted:
cabbagedad posted:

You guys may have to start with some specific questions... there are so many sub-topics within the general topic.

I want to make sure I research the league they have in mind for him.
I'm sure Coach has our player's best interest at heart, but it's still mom and dads money making it happen.

My son was able to tell me the state but not the specific league.
I have read some horror stories about revenue generating leagues and roach infested lodgings.

Anyway, I'm just obsessing. Things may change a hundred times between now and next summer.
I wish I could be a fly on the wall at his practices!

I think you might know that one of my sons coached in the Valley League last summer and is likely headed back.  He coached in another known league out West previously and has played in or been invited to others.  I follow several of the kids that played for me in their summer stints as well.  So, feel free to PM when you figure out which league/team.  Also, I know it's your money but it can be tough for the player to tell the HC no when he is assigned.  Been there too.  Stay in touch.  

BTW, yes, there are some bad experiences and surprises.  Some can be avoided with up-front knowledge, which can be so difficult when most only go through this once or twice.  Yet another huge benefit to staying connected to HSBBW for guidance.  That said, the majority, I think, are good to great experiences.

I think some simple key questions to ask before accepting an assignment are what net net costs will be (likely to have to come from the summer organization) and what the playing time arrangement will be (should come from college HC).  Answers may not always be definitive but should offer some insight.

Last edited by cabbagedad