Skip to main content

Reply to "Summer Collegiate League Experience"

The good:  playing everyday; playing with some very good players from many different schools; free dairy queen whenever they wanted.  They would run out between reps/practice to get smoothies.  Lunch and dinner, too, when needed.  Son said they never got tired of it, especially the ice cream.  Son loved his summer experience. 

The bad:  for me, the turnover.  Players were coming and going all season for different reasons (summer school, homesick, etc).    I was used to the college constant roster.  This also gets them ready for a pro team turnover.

The Bad:  for son, the host family.  Host family (no cost to player) mom had some cognitive issues starting and the dad maybe thought having players in the house would be additional eyes on her.  It was their first time being a host family. However, the players were not around a lot, and sometimes when they would come home late from a game  no one would be there.  Another family kinda adopted them and let them know they could count on them for any reason, which was very helpful.  There were other issues, too.

@TPM, no drinking???   If they are drinkers/partiers, they will find a way, I can assure you.