Skip to main content

Reply to "Summer Collegiate Wooden Bat Leagues-Recruting well underway"

Our situation was very similar to the OP. I really had no idea about Collegiate Summer Ball before finding this site and reading a thread on posters experiences. I knew immediately that I wanted that opportunity for my son, who was a Junior in High School at the time.

Fast forward to the recruiting process, that was a conversation we had with the Head Coach...How successful is he at placing players in Summer Programs...they all said it would not be a problem, and we believed them.

The school my son ultimately decided on his first year of College was a JUCO that the coach indicated that he felt that he could get my son a spot in the Valley League. Around November or so with no word of placement I began to get my son to be proactive with the coach. He indicated that there may be an opening coming up in the Florida League, but was not yet sure...

I decided to take action myself and sent a Bio with assorted stats to every team from Wisconsin to the Cape to Georgia. The Florida program was just getting off the ground back then, so I wanted him out of state for the complete experience with a host family, etc.

I sent at least 100 e-mails out to every coach, assistant coach, every e-mail address I could find.

It worked out for my son as a previously committed player was injured early on and opened up a spot. If I had not been extremely proactive, I do not know if my son would have had any opportunities, especially since his first two years were at two separate JUCO's.

He enjoyed 3 consecutive years with an excellent program in Fayetteville with the Swampdogs. Some of the best baseball he has ever had the opportunity to participate in.

Don't be afraid to be unorthodox, unless it will upset your existing College Coach.