Skip to main content

Reply to "Summer for 2020 and new rules"

3and2Fastball posted:
TheRightScuff posted:
. If my son was a 2021 or younger, however, I'd like to think I would encourage him to focus more time and money on training/development instead.

Can you elaborate on that please?  Why the difference in approach for a 2021 as opposed to a 2020?

My uneducated guess is that schools will be recruiting fewer rising sophomores this year than in recent years, at least for those kids not ranked super high nationally. So more focus on strength and skill development would hopefully provide a better payoff down the road. Before the rule change, the trend toward earlier and earlier recruiting seemed to be accelerating, putting more push to get more exposure sooner. 

I didn't worry at all about my son's exposure as a rising freshman... so he spent half the summer working out (strength training) daily with a group of coaches and players and doing pitcher-specific drills. Marked improvement in both velo and command. I was more concerned about exposure for him as a rising sophomore last summer, and he spent a lot of time at travel tournaments as a P.O. watching more games than he pitched. To be expected for a P.O., but a lot of time missed when we could have been more selfish on his personal development.

That said, I don't regret any of the college camps my son attended as a rising sophomore, even if most may have been 'cash grabs' for the schools. They were very helpful to him to learn about what's out there.  He saw D1, D2, D3, JC, and NAIA schools and/or coaches... exactly zero offers, but that wasn't the point. He gained good experience to hopefully help him eventually make a more informed decision. 

Last edited by TheRightScuff