Skip to main content

Reply to "Summer for 2020 and new rules"

baseballhs posted:
Zia2021 posted:
TPM posted

Folks have to remember always that coaches recruit players, not the other way around. If there is true interest they will contact YOU. Of course the top ranked players will always get first offers.

I can confirm this is not always true.  I know 3 2021 players personally who received D1 offers from 3 different schools after they initiated contact. They are from the same travel team and none of them are studs. They are all projecting good, but far from studs. 2 of those 3 schools were ranked in the top 25 pre season this year. 

Not sure if this could be a new trend, or perhaps a trend unique to my region. Or perhaps these kids represent an example of kids who (for various reasons) just aren’t on anyone’s radar yet because they choose not to play the big tourneys down south or do early showcases.  Also, travel coach has contacts at these schools so maybe that made a difference. But I can confirm that it is possible for good players to pursue a spot at a top school successfully. 

My son is too shy to call unless they ask him to, but we have definitely "initiated contact" in terms of sending email and video, and updates unsolicited. Two of the schools he targeted just via email are big D1s have since reached out to his coaches asking him to call, several others have followed him on twitter.  I wouldn't say we recruited the schools, but we did target schools he liked by either emails or by attending their camps and I think my son has had good success with that.  He hasn't received an offer but he is talking to 8-9 of these schools regularly.  Only two saw him at a tournament or showcase.  The others only saw video he sent or he went to their camp.

Of course coaches will contact players, that is what they are paid to do and it is a recruits job to reach out to programs he is interested in, but that doesn't mean that he will get offers from programs that he feels he should get. 

In most cases, it's the coaches who make the decision, who they will offer and who they won't.

Best of luck.