Skip to main content

Reply to "Summer has come and gone: what now?"

Originally Posted by SluggerDad:
Now that summer has come and gone with no offers what does the kid do next?

He still has two exposure events:
All Cal State Showcase this weekend
Arizona Senior Fall Classic in October.

Mostly, though, he's now focused on competitive to highly competitive D3's both in California and elsewhere.

Been in contact with several d3 coaches and a few d2 coaches.  Some of the D3 in particular seem quite interested. Have sent follow up personal emails inviting. to come visit and or attend combined prospect  camp/campus visit event.  No time or money for much of that though.

Any advice?

SluggerDad,

Keep your options open. There are a lot of players in CA. The player to spot ratio is not in any one players favor. A lot of in state kids would like to stay in Ca. And a whole lot more would like to go out there to play. I am not saying that there is not a place for him in CA. I would just expand your search beyond CA. Look at some of the D3's in other parts of the country. 

Many of the Midwest, mideast and eastern schools are very interested in young men from California. The schools prioritize diversity. They want kids from all over the country. Sometimes this diversity can even turn into Academic money. 

I know a young man who used to be a recruiting co-ordinator at a local D3. After he left the school he told me that he had really wanted to recruit my son but the school does not target young men from my sons area. they target the East coast and the west coast. The Baseball program was told to target recruits from areas that match the schools academics-geographical profile. So that ruled my son out. Looking at the schools profile their are not many local kids who end up there. But their are quite a few from California and New York. Trying to get a kid to come out from California to Ohio to play baseball can be very tough. 

If I lived in CA and my son was going through this process again I would probably target schools in Texas and the Northwest first and then some Southern and Mideast D3's as backups or safety nets.