Skip to main content

Reply to "Summer League"

My Son who is a Senior this year hopes to play in a College League this Summer. He actually had the chance to play with one this past Summer. It was a fantastic learning experience for him and he would like that again. Even if it meant only playing about 20% of the games. The reason he got to play is they lost players due to injuries and such and he was brought in for bullpen so we thought. This was at the end of his Summer season. Anyway the Coach put him in the game to give the one and only Catcher they had left a break. He did great!! During the playoffs the one and only Catcher was injured so he got to play in the Playoff games as well. If I remember right he played in four games for them. I would have to ask my Son if I have that number correct though. LOL. All during the Summer before his Senior year. So he is hungry to get a chance like that again!

We have talked to some teams outside of that league too. In case it doesn't work out this Summer. The School he signed with is trying to help out also with the College league. But at one meeting( not a College league team) we went to it seemed too involved. Games everyday of the week! WE just came off of a Summer Season where he played with 3 teams. His regular Summer team, then invited to play with another in a World Series, then that College team. Then straight into Fall Showcase ball where he got all of his attention. So it was worth it!! But the idea of him playing everyday during the Summer I think would burn him out going into his Freshman year at College. The reason why the Coach of this team said is to get these boys exposure. But our Son is already signed and knows where he is going. These games will not be played in areas where his College Coach will see him. I am thinking it is too much. So if the College league does not work out he may just do a Legion team.

What do you all think of incoming Freshman playing everyday of their Summer. Plus travel. We are talking both double header Saturday's and Sunday's. I think part of my hesitation is like what happened with the College League team. Our Son ended up being the only Catcher on the Summer team. The other Catcher didn't like that our Son started over him so he just quit! Son had like 10 to 11 games in 12 days at one point. Double headers everything with no break. Of course being a Catcher that is brutal. He made it through and once they were not all back to back games was able to recover quickly. That is why he was able to help those other 2 teams out. I would just hate for him to go into his Freshamn season dead tired when he needs to prove he is up to the task.

Newcomer,
We hope that Son can find a team that plays against some really tough competition even if his team isn't the strongest. His biggest goal is to get the chance to hit the good College Pitcher's. He has proven he can Catch them but wants to hit against them now. If that makes sense. He needs that to prepare for his Freshman Season. SO I would look for a team in a good league but it doesn' have to be the strongest team in the league. JMHO. SOmeone else might have a better idea than me though since I am just as new as you at this.