Skip to main content

Reply to "Summer Leagues"

RJM posted:

When I was playing college ball there were essentially three premiere leagues. There was the Cape, Jayhawk and Alaska. What became of the Jayhawk and Alaska Leagues? I never hear about them anymore. I know they still exist. The couple of rosters I checked didn’t seem to have big name, big program players. 

Good and fair question.  My son was considering Alaska for next summer.  Two of his college teammates have played there in the last 2 years.  When I played many, many...many years ago, Alaska was absolutely premier and coveted.  So, I was initially excited that it would be an option.  But, they are down to 7 teams (not sure what it used to be).  I connected with a very well known collegiate baseball scout (most of us probably follow him on Twitter), and he said he still likes it but that it is really hard to scout since it is so far away, especially now that there are so many other high quality leagues.  FWIW, he ranked it below CPL and NECBL.  I was glad that we got that feedback, because I was heading down the path of advising my son to prioritize Alaska.