Skip to main content

Reply to "Summer Prior to College"

Coach_May posted:

I really fall in line with Collegeparentnomore on this for position players. You need to get as many ab's as possible against the best competition you can play before you enter fall ball. I have a different opinion about pitchers. The last thing you want is to be fatigued from throwing all summer in games going into fall ball. If you can find a good fit that allows you to pitch once a week and not be over extended you can continue to work out and be prepared going in. If you threw a ton for your HS team into May and then go into a full summer season watch out in my opinion. Find the right fit for you for what you specifically need. But don't go into fall baseball at the college level without seeing quality pitching for the entire summer. And don't go into fall ball at the college level as a pitcher worn out from the summer.

Your competition in the fall position players have been playing at the level you want to achieve all spring into summer. You left HS pitching took off a few months and now your facing college pitching. Not a good recipe for success in my opinion. The fall will dictate your role in the spring. JMO

I guess it depends on the kid. My kid is physically ready to step onto a collage baseball field right now. And the baseball has never been a problem for him. On the other hand, while my son isn't a bad student, he's no Einstein either. Getting some easy credits can't hurt, getting to know the coaches, teammates, school, town has to be a plus. Playing ball vs a summer program is an easy decision for us.

I'd argue that while seeing high level pitching over the summer can't hurt there are other things to consider. Stressing out about grades, new coaches, teammates, surroundings, etc doesn't make for ideal condition's to excel on the field.