Skip to main content

Reply to "Summer Teams associated with Training Facility"

What you desire may vary by age. Before 17u you want your kid to develop and be exposed to 17u programs who will recruit him. The coaches of quality 17u programs will see a kid play and recommend him to the program. Or a top high school reputation may create travel team recruiting. 

Personally, through fifteen years old it was about learning and development. I wanted the best instruction at the best price in a competitive game environment. I created it myself with three other coaches I knew who also played college ball (two pro). Their kids were talented enough (went on to play college ball)  to be on the team without accusations of daddy ball. Players were on their own for training outside the team. 

At 17u it becomes about promoting the player to college programs. I was looking for the best college contacts in a competitive game environment. 

The better 17u programs don’t usually care where the player trains. They want the kid to show up for games, help them win and end up on the alumni list on the wall at the facility. Then when 10u players and dads take the tour they can be sold the dream that can be reached by spending tens of thousands of dollars starting as soon as possible.

When my son was being recruiting by one 17u program I noticed four names on the wall that seemed odd based on where I knew they were from. Three were first rounders now in the majors. I had played with two of the player’s dads. I called them. The facility had them play free in two major PG tournaments while throwing paying customers under the bus (end of the bench). 

“We came in X place at PG East Cobb and Fort Myers against the big boys” is a major selling point. Especially to the younger, gullible, inexperienced dads and kids. 

Never forget first of all it’s a business. 

Last edited by RJM