Skip to main content

Reply to "Summer/Fall Baseball Programs"

Ken, Congrats on a great season and welcome to the board. Your experience, knowledge, and perspective will add a lot to this already great bb.

I’ll preface my comments and opinions with I have a 14U player. I share the same sentiments reflected by several of the previous posters about organized practices, cost, no frills uniforms, and at a younger age playtime, etc. Also I understand that my opinions are still based on kids that have not entered HS yet.

1) Integrity: Many coaches do not realize their impact on these players, on and off the field. I (unfortunately) remember more of my past coaches names than teachers. I want my son to not only learn the game but to learn to respect it, the coaches, the umpires. Besides at home, it also starts at the top of the team.

2) Commitment: Not only should players and families consider it an honor to play for teams, coaches and organizations should consider it the same that parents have entrusted their kids to these coaches and organizations.

3) Skills / knowledge: No one will ever ask my son, what his record was, or if he won a World Series. What they will look for are skills, hustle, mental toughness, character, etc.

4)Teaching and drills: I’d much rather have lots of good practices, than play a lot of games. When you do play games, I agree, find good competition. I’d rater loose and play passionately than win a meaningless game…

5) Communication: I don’t understand why many coaches have such an untouchable attitude… I don’t expect them to field every silly question, but I’d like to be able to approach them for honest constructive questions and opinions on how to help better my son.

6) Fun. Yes fun. I embarrassed myself this year when I made some offhanded remarks to a mom for bringing snacks to a “select” game. My son quickly reminded me that we parents say this is supposed to be for the kids, but seldom act like it… I don’t believe younger players know what 110 % effort really is. I’d like to have a coach get it out of them without them even knowing it. Then looking back at the end of the day and reorganizing what they did so they can give even more next time.

7) Belief: This is such a mental game, and one obviously one of failures. I am looking for a positive coach that instills a believe attitude in his players and in turn believes in them.

Yes this sounds a little dreamy, but I have seen these qualities in some coaches out there, so I know they exist. My son has had had the absolute privilege to play on a team that to date has won a whole lot of games…Big deal…I believe baseball really is like life. Though he still dreams of being a pro, I realize he will not be one. But I hope the friends and memories he has made, and will continue to will make, will make him a better person. It is refreshing to see Ken’s comments as to why he coaches. IMHO a coach is not measured by his won / loss record. What good is it to be on a winning team and hate the sport at the end of the season?

Dave Senor