Skip to main content

Reply to "Supreme Court Rules Against NCAA In Case Over Student Athlete Compensation"

@old_school posted:

the crazy thing is part of me thinks the NCAA is the worst organization in he free so screw them...the other side i see massive unintended consequences and that college sports as we know them are dead. is that good or bad?

I believe, fear, that ultimately the student athletes are going to be the losers here. I am actually quite sure of it. I have no doubt the P5 money generators and a few other one off will be better off for it. In the larger view I expect all other athletes to have it worse... men's and women's varsity sports. I hope I am wrong.

I think you are right.  As bad as the NCAA is, at least all the schools and players got screwed more or less equally by a uniform set of rules, so there is a fair basis of competition across a lot of schools.  If this uniformity breaks down, and it seems inevitable that it will, then competitive sports are done... or perhaps pushed into a small number of schools that create quasi super-leagues for the top of the elite athletes.  I don't expect college sports as we know it to be around for my grandkids to enjoy.