Skip to main content

Reply to "Supreme Court Rules Against NCAA In Case Over Student Athlete Compensation"

It's money like it always is.  There are three primary sources, football and basketball gates and TV dollars attached to them.

I think the Power 5 will ultimately look to cut their own deals and form their own "league" for basketball and football and NCAA will run the rest of it.  March madness will be the hurdle there.  The Mid-majors actually make that whole thing interesting.

The Power 5 may continue to support the non revenue sports because of their own conference TV deals.  They need the content.  The rest will move toward the D3 model.

Football will continue at smaller schools since it will still draw decent crowds but Power 5 will start to fully resemble NFL and will become more divorced from school as time goes by and it will be a genuine minor league committed to developing NFL labor.  I believe the development of coaching will happen and you will see tighter relationships between NFL teams and college programs.  It could go as far as baseball where affiliations are created where each NFL team has two college programs associated with them like minor league teams.  That opens up issues on recruiting i.e. draft of HS players but that is down the line.

Basketball needs to become a place where iffy NBA players stay for 2nd and 3rd seasons.  Game will be improved and they may actually fully mature and improve before moving on.  I think the key there will be granting service time for players that stay in school.  That will require CBA work in NBA but may stem the rush of ill prepared players to pros.

One last thought.  I suspect the schools will continue to attempt to lowball compensation of players and this will be an ongoing battle until some sort of player representation is established.  This is 1973 MLB landscape for college sports and free agency is about to become reality.