Skip to main content

Reply to "Surprised by Your Own Player"

My moments were lessons learned that ultimately have played well in life, post college.

My son got seriously injured the first weekend post junior (hs) summer. He was expecting early summer offers. With resilience and a tough mental attitude everything worked out. He got to college ball. Freshman season he was starting by mid season after others failed. In the fall he returned to find a JuCo All American at the position he expected to play. He subbed on Friday night and Saturday. He started and got two hits Sunday. He started at a different positions the rest of the season. The next year there was a Gatorade POY at the primary position he played. The previous season’s first weekend experience played out again. He proved he could play. More importantly he proved he was resilient (a life lesson of mental toughness).

My daughter was a four year fourth outfielder. She thought she was better than one of the starters three of the years. But she did her part and played a lot. She was a sometimes starter. It takes a certain mental preparedness to be ready for one pinch hit, pinch run or a couple of defensive innings.

Eventually, after graduating from law school she was promoted to prosecuting violent crimes. One of her first trials was a smug, wealthy, military academy athlete charged with rape. When she called to tell me “I nailed the bastard to the wall. He’s going away,” I could picture a fist pumping kid who had just won a championship.

I see the lessons learned in sports play out continually in my adult kids lives.