Skip to main content

Reply to "Surprised by Your Own Player"

I'm sure there are others and hopefully there will be more, but one that jumps out at me is his first practice on a pretty good national fall team. He went to a tryout and the coach came up to us to personally invite him on his platinum team and said he liked his versatility and how he plays the C position. We must not have reacted the way he was expecting because he followed with a soft, "uh, we're pretty good". They held a practice for all the FL kids on Labor Day weekend. I see these kids walking up to the field and all I can think is "I think we outkicked our coverage with this team". He held his own at the practice and actually stood out. After seeing he could play and would be a nice addition to the team some of the returning parents made their way over to me to welcome us to the team. I always thought he was a good player, but until that point he hadn't really had to compete with top level talent for playing time.

Overall, it was a great experience. They played 4 of the top 10 teams in the country that fall and a bunch of top 50 teams. They went 2-2 against the top 10 and faced some amazing players.