Skip to main content

Reply to "Surprised by Your Own Player"

This year has been potentially the highest of highs and lowest of lows. I can't say I was surprised at the highs, more surreal I guess, like he actually just did that, even though I knew he had it in him. Son was given the opportunity to start the first series game (had always been a reliever when pitching in college) against the #3 ranked D2 team on the road. Pitched a complete game 5 hitter, we won 3-2, struck the last batter out with the tying run on 2nd. So now he's the the solid #1/#2 starter. Picks up another win the following weekend as a starter. That's the high. Now the low. His elbow had been hurting specifically when he pitched since summer of 2019, but since he was originally going to be a position player last year, didn't think much of it, didn't hurt in normal position playing. The next game he starts, he goes 3, but his elbow is killing him. Time for an MRI, and after MRI, his UCL is partially torn. He's been throwing with it like that for almost 2 years, just pushing through it. So now we're awaiting a doctor's recommendation, surgery or PRP (if it's an option). Should know tomorrow. About as high and low as one can be in a span of roughly 4-5 weeks haha! But it's all a part of a plan, even if we don't understand it at the time.

Love hearing the stories, keep them coming!