Skip to main content

Reply to "Surprised by Your Own Player"

I've felt guilty for not responding here.  It's hard to come up with one time.  There have been so many times that I have been surprised and unbelievably proud.  This journey is hard.  It breaks your heart and it gives you the highest highs.  Right now we are in a hard part, but I am so thankful for the way it brings our family together.  This is the first year that my son hasn't been home when he is going through challenges or disappointments and its difficult to gauge.  My son has been a pretty highly ranked kid since sophomore year of hs.  Summer after jr year, he started with a "lights out" performance at the PG National, followed by mono which took him out the rest of his summer.  He started training for the Super 60  in November and then got pneumonia, which set him back 3-4 weeks.  He started a great senior season 12IP 26K, 2 H, 1BB.  I sat in the stands, feeling almost surreal.  Total control, amazing to watch.  He had 10-15 scouts in the stands every time he pitched. I would listen to them talk about him on podcasts, and read his write ups.  Those were some of the highest highs. Covid shut things down, they reduced the draft to 5 rounds,  and he decided he should go to college.  He got to college and within a few weeks they found out he had a syndrome in his arm and changed his arm slot.  Spent last fall relearning how to pitch.  Spring starts and he gets in several times and does ok, but he isn't the dominate kid he was last year.  The coach tells him to go back to his old slot.  He spent a few weeks trying to relearn what he tried to forget and at his last outting, throwing against his team, he said he killed it.  Felt great.  The next day he got a severe sprain in his ankle.  But he just keeps pushing on. My heart breaks for him...more adversity than he deserves, but through it all, he has a quiet confidence that lets me know he is going to be ok.  It is not an understatement to say that I feel extremely honored to be a witness to his journey and to be the person he calls to talk through disappointment or celebration.  I know a lot of parents feel that way.  He surprises me everyday.  I get to say, "that's my kid" a lot, not just for his talent, but for the kind of person he is.  

Last edited by baseballhs