Skip to main content

Reply to "Surviving the Loss of an Athlete"

None of us ever want to experience a loss of this type and I can only wish your son, his teammates, your family, and the family of that young man the very best.
Losses like this, in my view, are managed in ways that are personal to the coaches, each player as an individual and as part of a team and what works for them.
In the two experiences that impacted our son and his college teammates, once the acute grief began to dissipate, through the leadership of the coaching staff, the team created ways to celebrate the lives of the two they lost, one a player and one a coach.
They made every effort to continue to involve the families that were immediately impacted, and they created ways to recognize #12 on the one hand and #46 on the other were with them at all times. Symbols like having the jerseys in the dugout, numbers in their hats/on their hats, a game/night dedicated to the player on the one hand and the deceased coach on the other seemed to make a difference for the players, the coaches and the families that were impacted and all the families of players.
Both Chris, the player, and Bob, the coach, have a plaque in their honor in the dugout with a memento/saying to reflect what they meant to their team and teammates
For the player, the team had a dog tag made that each player wore the entire season, and many beyond that time.
In speaking with the Mother of the deceased player, one item that brought her great joy was continued calls, contact and emails from the team/players and parents. Stories about things the players did with her son, things her son did with his teammates were very much cherished. I don't know if this would be right for every parent but I know how much the mother of #12 appreciated learning things her son did and others shared with her son that explained more of his life for her.
If there are siblings of the deceased player, bringing them to the current team might be meaningful. I know it was for the brother of Chris to have the team reach out to him and make an effort so he knew his brother's life was so much enjoyed and continued to be celebrated.
For the family of the deceased coach and player, the team and coaches and families of the players and coaches made a very consistent effort to involve them regularly, Not all invites were accepted but making the effort to include them in emails and all other team and parent communications sure were warmly received.
Finally, looking for some way to continue the presence of the young man in that baseball program can be a support parents can provide. Whether it be a scholarship in his name,a score board in his name, both, or some other recognition that his life can make a difference and will be remembered and celebrated for years to come helps bring comfort and pride that survives but most importantly celebrates the life and spirit that was lost.
Last edited by infielddad