Skip to main content

Reply to "Surviving the Loss of an Athlete"

gamedayrocks, I'm copying and pasting a post I made almost two years ago here. I don't know if it really answers your question or not, but I thought I'd share

quote:
This is not baseball-related, but I decided I needed to share this as well.. I have laid in bed the last 40 minutes thinking about this thread and it took me back to high school and so I've been thinking about this...

People talk about enjoying high school because it's the best time of your lives. They say to enjoy your senior year because you only get one. Well, not everybody gets a senior year of high school. Not everyone gets to be a senior baseball player, or in this case, a senior football player.

I had a teammate who missed his senior football season not because of grades, or an injury. Chris was on his way to football practice that June morning like many mornings before and summers before. 7:30 weights and conditioning Monday, Wednesday, Friday every week, every summer. June 19, 2006 my teammates lives, my coach's lives, my classmates' lives, and Chris and his family's lives were changed forever. He fell asleep at the wheel on his way to practice and the minivan he was driving crossed the yellow line into the path of a tractor-trailer. The truck driver did everything he could to avoid the collision even rolling his semi, but the collision was of such force that it is believed Chris was killed on impact. Pictures of the scene showed the engine of the minivan not in its normal spot in the front of the vehicle, but in the back seat. He didn't stand a chance.

We found out 2 hours later while we were doing some drills. A school social worker showed up at the practice field and wanted to talk to our coach. After a brief discussion, our coach told us to pack it up and head back to the weight room. When we got back inside, we were told of the accident.

I share this because I don't think people realize how lucky they are each and every day. Sure, things don't go your way and you have a bad day. At least you had that day to have a bad one.

We are always looking to the future. I'm in the same boat-- I can't wait to be done with this semester. Always looking to the "next level." What about today?

The past is history
The future is a mystery
Today is a gift
That's why we call it the present

RageRoolz, I hope you enjoy your senior year. You should walk off that field at the end of the year with no regrets. Trust me, even if the season doesn't go the way you want it to, you'll remember it and you'll wish you could do it again. I know I'm feeling that way right now and it's only been a year. It might take awhile to hit you when it's over. Enjoy it because it's over fast..