Skip to main content

Reply to "Suspended game?! What is the ruling"

JCG posted:

Resuscitation of really old threads can be funny, like when someone answers a question asked by a poster a decade or more ago, not realizing that the players in question are all  grown up and  may have their own  kids by now.

Anyway -  I have a question about resuming a suspended game under the new CIF pitch count rules.  

The situation is that my son's team will be in the field, top of the 5th, clinging to a 2-1 lead.  Both starting pitchers are still in the game.  Our pitcher has  60+ pitches.  The visitor's pitcher is at 80+.   I am assuming that A) the pitchers are subject to pitch counts for the current day - IE,  if our starting pitcher threw a CG yesterday, he needs to to be subbed out before the first pitch, and B) that the pitchers are  also subject to pitch counts for that particular game, so either pitcher would need to be removed upon reaching 110 pitches for that game, even though most of those pitches came on a different day. Not as important, but I'd also assume that only pitches thrown that day would count toward a pitcher's total during the current time period.

Well, that's what common sense suggests to me - is it correct?

And here's a bonus question:  what if a rostered player was not on the lineup card for that game due to illness, injury, or ineligibility?  Is he not available as a sub in the resumed game?

The pitch count issue is going to be up to your state's governing body.

Any player that is eligible to play on the date of the resumed game may enter the game, regardless of eligibility on the date of the started game. As Swampboy stated, the initial listing is irrelevant--and even if FED made that a punitive violation, it would still end up being allowable, as that would only apply to the situation at the start of that particular game on that day (assuming they follow other rules codes that address this.)

OBR, for example, specifically mentions this--as long as a player on the roster is eligible to enter that game, it does not matter if they were on the roster for the original date. Thus, if Smith was playing for another team on the original date, and gets traded to one of the participating teams between that date and the game's resumption, he can enter the game, even though he wasn't even on one of the teams when the game started.

Last edited by Matt13