Skip to main content

Reply to "Swarthmore restricting on campus to jrs. and srs. in Spring 2021"

The reason that HA D3 schools have athletics in the first place is because it rounds a person out and makes them more attractive to potential employers.  I was with my son during the process of picking a school and we visited CalTech.  They were not a good team at the time and I asked the coach -- why does the school keep investing in baseball?  The feedback was then echoed elsewhere...  Job recruiters like the athletes coming out of these high academic schools far better than other students because they knew how to work together with other people.  They understood how to compete, how to fail and how to win.  HA school compete on their ability to place students into jobs or grad school.  

Except for the .05% of baseball players on this board -- the rest are going to stop playing after 4 years of college.  The entire point point is to have fun, to grow as an adult and be better prepared for the next 40 years of their life in the working world.  Which in my opinion (I have a senior ballplayer at a HA D3)  -- baseball has been wonderful at helping him get ready for the real world.  

What I don't get is if colleges can justify football -- where players get up close and personal every 30 seconds for three hours...  how can they say baseball isn't safe.  Granted, I get that its about $$ to the P5 schools.

Im just super pissed that we are in October and making decisions about what's going to happen in March and I am  really worried fear is the reason he may be robbed of his last year playing ball. I hope his school administration doesn't follow Swarthmore's lead.

Just my opinion.