Skip to main content

Reply to "Swarthmore restricting on campus to jrs. and srs. in Spring 2021"

@MAM posted:

What I don't get is if colleges can justify football -- where players get up close and personal every 30 seconds for three hours...  how can they say baseball isn't safe.  Granted, I get that its about $$ to the P5 schools.

This is just my observation, something I have said before.

In these times, it's not just about putting players on a field. It takes a lot of planning day in and day out to keep players safe and a LOT of continuous testing. And players have to be seperated from the general school population. I think that a lot of baseball programs have learned from football programs but that isn't always going to work out.  Once the masks come off, in any sport, cases rise. And then you have to make a plan for quarantine. You can test and come out negative and feel sick that day. Plans and schedules change daily due to who is positive and who is negative.

If schools have not taken the time to work out a viable plan this fall, they can't send out the players on the field in spring.  It's not that simple. If you have less than 30 players on a team and half are sick you can't practice, you can't play. It's frustrating.

Look how crazy football has become, hard to get games in.

So if schools have not gotten in full  practice or games, how can you play in the spring?

I might be wrong, are HA D3 practicing? Are D3 schools in session practicing, testing?