Skip to main content

Reply to "Swarthmore restricting on campus to jrs. and srs. in Spring 2021"

Holy Cross just now from President:  I want to reiterate that only serious community and state public health concerns will prevent us from being together on campus this spring. To understand any such concerns, we are monitoring the following metrics and trends, and how they relate to each other.

Holy Cross pulled the bait and switch in August (last minute) and the President has decided to retire after the school year perhaps from pressure.  I know he got a flood of negative emails (and yes some support).  This is such welcome news.  What about Patriot League baseball?  I hope they play but this is my daughter's school.  I  will come up to watch some stud Sophomore pitchers however and then head about 40 minutes east to watch my son play for his D3 if his shoulder improves....

If Holy Cross goes back everyone should. They are super conservative.

I actually give HC a pass on the August audible.  I think they earnestly wanted the kids back on campus then were over-ruled by data or "authorities".  It is easier to justify the cost when the kids are there.  They could have been more forthright by acknowledging that Zoom classes are inferior.  I was one of those who emailed the President pointing out that if online learning is so good, there is no reason to ever come back to campus.  But as far as the switcheroo, the decision is a thankless one, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The baseball team has canceled its UNC Wilmington and Florida pre-season series and will likely cancel University of Houston.  They hope to play some non-conference games against other nearby teams.  If there are no non-conference games, Patriot League coaches have discussed the possibility of two four-game series against each other for a total of 40 games.

I am very hopeful that at least the baseball team and other spring teams are on campus.  Basketball and other winter teams are on campus and it seems to have gone ok.  The plan is for basketball games begin in January, I think only league games.