Skip to main content

Reply to "Switch hitter"

Originally Posted by Basspro128:
Thanks everyone for info. I was just wandering about bat speed on non natural side if that generated interest of colleges? He works very hard both ways on plate batted 450 sophomore year and 667 on travel ball over summer. Was filmed at hitting camp last year at college and college coach said swing was unique due to mirror image left and right. Great hard working kid. High school coach encourages his switch hitting because he's good at it. He's 78 left but faster right on bat speed! Just didn't know if switch hitting helped colleges to be interested if your great at it.
Thanks

My son hits from both sides and has had good success doing it. However, I frequently wonder if he would be better right-handed (his natural side) than he is either way today. That said, there is no questions that his ability to hit from either side has created many benefits. He has stayed in games when coaches have gone to a righty or lefty lineup, it was part of the reason that Major League organizations liked him twice in the draft. He never sees a breaking ball move away from him, etc... Keep in mind that in addition to the extra work it takes to be successful as a switch-hitter, you become mostly a left-handed hitter since there are so relatively few left-handed pitchers. It is an interesting proposition with no clear-cut answer.

I also will say that it seems that much of what Charlie Lau taught is not regarded with the esteem today that it attracted 30 or 40 years ago.

Last edited by jemaz