Skip to main content

Reply to "switch hitting"

PG has the right idea for switch hitting. Completely agree.

I can share my younger sons experience because it realates directly to JEMAZ post. He's a lefty who learned to bat righty first. It's taken him two years now of consistent switch hitting (he's 16 but started gradually switching at age 10 got tired of having me nag him constantly) to become comfortable and have the power left handed. He now can hit it out from both sides. He's a fairly fast kid and has not been thrown out bunting from the left side in two years. From the left side speed makes infielders up there charge and release times. College and pro guys have that ability but not too many HSers. The result is what I call bobble speed one half second bobble or hesitation will make that fast lefty safe many times. No need to mention the slow roller to the left side, the high chopper, or the ball hit in the hole to SS or 2nd.

The one thing I'd offer is that's it hard to get enough curve and off speed pitches from the unnatural side. So really work on those.

Two things I've learned.

1. Start your youngster on the opposite side from from the outset. He'll pick up the other side faster because that should be his power side. I know a dad smart enough to do this when both kids were natural righties. We sat together on a rained out day in the hotel and he told me his story for both sons. The oldest is now an everyday player in the majors. The youngest is a top hitting junior on his college team.

2. Make your speed son bat switch. I let mine go too long with the, (I'm not comfortable, I have no power from that side) wining. Let them know it's alright to play and fail at the expense of progressing for later on.

Ofcourse this is only for the player you know is serious and wants to play at the highest level. if the kids not really into the game just let em have fun and do what they want!
noidea