Skip to main content

Reply to "Taking pitches until a strike is called"

Matt Reiland posted:

My take away is that it is not a beneficial strategy from a BA perspective.  From an OBP perspective, I'm not sure if I can interpret the data correctly.  If the strategy of taking until you get a strike is to increase the chances of getting on base (not just get a hit), does your data support or refute the idea?

I figgered I’d get stabbed by not putting total OBP on the report. To tell the truth I was lazy. It only took a couple minutes to get the BA but getting the OBP took a bit more and I didn’t want to do it at the time. But, today I had the time and went ahead and stuck it on there.

I can’t say if as a strategy it’s better or worse because it wasn’t a planned team strategy for the team the data is for. What I did was only use the hitting data for PAs where there wasn’t a swing until a strike was called and compared it to all PAs. As you can see, there was a 35 point drop in BA and a 26 point drop in OBP between the two.

My guess is, it’s a pretty stupid thing to do purposely for all but the most elite hitters.

Attachments

Files (1)