Skip to main content

Reply to "Taking pitches until a strike is called"

Stats4Gnats posted:

I'd be interested to see what the numbers are for players on first swing that didn't take until first strike.  That is, players who swung at the first strike (at least what they interpreted as a strike).  To me that, in comparison to those who took until one strike would be a more interesting comparison…..

I’m not sure what you’re interested in seeing. Do you mean swinging at the 1st pitch or where the 1st strike is a swinging strike?

I mean stats for swinging at first pitch, or swinging on 1-0, 2-0 or 3-0 count, where it's obvious that the player didn't take until he had a strike.  Kids that had a green light and swung at the first strike they saw.

That seems to be a more valid comparison of whether hitters are more successful by taking until they have a strike or if they are free to swing at the first strike they see (whether they CHOOSE to swing or not then becomes their decision).  

That becomes a better comparison of success whether they have a green light to swing at first strike, or if that option is taken away from a player to do same.  For me, this becomes more telling than comparing the subset to the total population.