Skip to main content

Reply to "Taking the SAT/ACT"

Agee with RipkenFan.   Figure out the academic competitive level then decide when is the best time to take the SAT or ACT.   I would advise anyone trying to play baseball at a HA (high Academic) school to take it sooner rather than later.   It is an opportunity to separate yourself from the crowd.

In our neck of the woods there is a PSAT test early sophomore year as starting point for standardized tests.   We used that as a guide to know what level of schools each of my 3 sons would qualify for.   Next was knowing what the starting point ranges are for specific schools.  Go to College Navigator https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/ ---> Select a College or University ---> Admissions to get the 25% and 75% percentile of the specific school.  This tells you the general student population ACT/SAT scores.  As you will learn on HSBBWeb there are different SAT/ACT numbers for student athletes, and every school is different in terms of the discrepancy or tolerance between general student population and student athlete.   

My oldest son took the PSAT which I believe was $0 at the time.  Then scored pretty well on the first SAT without studying as well as the subject test.   He had a number of offers, and one of the HA D1 schools wanted him to take it again to boost their numbers and his recruitability.  He self-studied with practice tests and did some stuff on Kahn academy and improved his score 150 points.   He ended up selecting a different HA D1 school that was more than fine with his first SAT scores.  I do not recall him taking the ACT .

Good luck!