Skip to main content

Reply to "Talking to Coach"

Kevin A posted:
ironhorse posted:
DadintheBox posted:

So let me change the conversation a bit.  I have been debating having a conversation with son's coach.  This year was a train wreck.  Team made 100 errors in the field in a 31 game season and pitchers walked 108 batters in 209 innings (one pitcher only walked 4 in 47 2/3 so the others walked 104 in 161 1/3).  I want to know what his plans are to make the team better next year.  By the end of the year, when games counted the most, he had lost the team. 

There are other issues like: No live BP only machine.  No live fungos, only shot from machine.  You get the idea.

Honestly, I am giving him a chance to convince me not to talk to the administration about the need for a change in coaches.   He is a nice guy.  He does a great job keeping the field in great shape.  He just isn't a good baseball coach.  

Get certified to teach/coach (whatever is applicable in your area) and get a job as a HS coach. Build a program that just beats the snot out of his every year, and then when he quits due to the embarrassment of your superior coaching ability, apply for that job and get it. Win state. Repeat.

Orrrrrrrrrr maybe rather than whining and complaining and making excuses for the kids (probably especially yours) offer to HELP. Tell him you'd love to throw BP for them one day. You'd love to hit fungoes. Or volunteer to coach and headup the summer/offseason program and improve them that way. Arrange times for the kids to meet up at the local cages or field in the summer to work them out. INVEST yourself in the program for the benefit of ALL of the kids.

There are a million ways to move things in a positive direction and teach your son that excuses and going behind someone's back demanding to get your way is cowardly.

Frankly I think your answer just makes you sound like a condescending ass.  I think several people got their answers across with out sounding like they were personally being attacked by the question.

If that comment was made to ironhorse, I think he answered pretty well.