Skip to main content

Reply to "Talking to Coach"

bandera posted:

Would you talk to the school if you thought the English teacher was wrong for teaching Chaucer and not Shakespeare?  I mean the English teacher is paid by tax dollars too.  Point being, where do you draw the line?  No coach tries to suck.  Nor any teacher.  We feel entitled to complain about the coach but leave the art teacher alone.  It really makes no sense but we do it.  Why?  Doesn't the coach deserve as much professional respect as the math teacher?

Actually, I find the reverse true.  Parents are much more engaged with teachers as there are more opportunities for engagement, such as parent teacher conferences, open houses, etc. 

I had to call out my kid's math teacher once.  Guy was a piece of work and not a good teacher.  Kid and I spent a whole three day weekend studying for a test.  We reviewed every homework assignment.  We spent a lot of time arguing because he would do a problem, I'd check the answer and tell him he was wrong.  He'd look at it and say he was right.  Well that wasn't what the answer key said.  He would then "correct" the answer key and I would spend hours on google trying to figure out the answer, only to find out the kid was right.  Turns out on several occasions they where giving the kids wrong answers to the homework assignments.