Skip to main content

Reply to "Talking to Coach"

bandera posted:

Would you talk to the school if you thought the English teacher was wrong for teaching Chaucer and not Shakespeare?  I mean the English teacher is paid by tax dollars too.  Point being, where do you draw the line?  No coach tries to suck.  Nor any teacher.  We feel entitled to complain about the coach but leave the art teacher alone.  It really makes no sense but we do it.  Why?  Doesn't the coach deserve as much professional respect as the math teacher?

I've seen this argument before, and frankly, I think it is a bad one.  If your son wasn't succeeding in the classroom, would you advise him to talk to the teacher to find out how he can get a better grade?  I have many times.  I've always told him that if he is struggling, or he doesn't like his teacher, that he isn't always going to like his bosses, so talk to the teacher and find out what THEY want from you.  They are the boss!

To me it is quite similar to a player/coach situation.  Have him talk to the coach and find out what he needs to do to be successful.