Skip to main content

Reply to "Talking to Coach"

phillyinNJ posted:
2forU posted:

Here is why you just say OK coach:

Situation 1, 2 outs losing 1-0, player 1 (senior captain, starting pitcher and infielder) is at the plate.  Major league pop up. Stands at home, never moves, watches the entire play until 2b catch the ball. Goes to dugout gets glove and goes to infield position.  No one says a word.

Situation 2 same game, 2 outs winning 5-1, player 2 (back up SS) is at the plate. Sky high pop up.  Runs 80% to 1b, gets to 1b before ball hits infielders glove, ball drops to the ground safe at 1st.  Steals 2b, eventually scores 6th and final run.  While running off the field, hitting coach lays into him for not running to 1b.  Player response, coach I did run, what do you mean.  Coach screaming now about talking back and not running.  HC comes over and asks player what his issue is and if he ran to 1b.  Response, Coach, I did run about 80% and I was not talking back to other coach, just discussing the play.  HC to player, you have a lot of potential and a great bat but, if you ever talk back or not run 100% to 1st, you'll never see the field again. Player 2 told to run after game by himself for 30 minutes while team has meeting and watches.  Player 2 now in dog house, has not been on field since, removed from batting line up and inter squad games.

Bad coaches demoralize players

There are some good coaches and then there are some bad ones...Having a double standard coach is one of the worse kinds there are.  Sets a bad example not only for the players, but sets the players who are receiving special treatment up for failure down the road when the standard is the same for all...

I particularly love the coach who changes a very effective swing/delivery/throwing/fielding/throw down....you know to "make it better" and then doesn't play the kid because he now can't hit the broad side of a barn/throw a strike to save his life/stop a ball/ or throw a kid out.

Just love those guys!