Skip to main content

Reply to "Talking to coaches about offers."

FWIW my son received a nice JUCO offer that came with a time clock.  It was a great offer and a program my son knew would be great for him.  But he had two D1s that had sincere interest in and his goal is to play D1 ball.  I think the approach is everything.  Be honest and have politic-free conversation.  My son called up both of the D1s and genuinely sought out their advice a la "what do you think is best for me?"  Both were honest and told him they couldn't do anything for him now and that taking the JUCO offer is probably the smartest path.  Both committed to continue following him over the next couple years.  The D1 goal (and his desired targets) is still intact, although it involves a detour now.  The goal is the same so his recruiting process continues.  For example, one of the two D1s has a camp scheduled for September now and my son is already registered for it.  He will continue to develop the relationships he's begun at every opportunity he gets.  Now, will the NCAA extend the dead period and kill the September camp?  That's a whole different thread...