Skip to main content

Reply to "Talking to coaches about offers."

Mac Dad,

Lot's of good advice here.  The only thing I'd add is, what is the reason you would want to bring it up?  If you ask, it should be for a sincere reason.

In my son's case, he got an offer from one of his top 2 schools.  The coach, with good reason, asked my son to give him an answer within a week.  Two days later my son met with the coach from his dream school.  The coach said all the right things but talked in a circular way (my wife and I were with him), and after an hour I could tell my son was confused about what he had heard (but of course he had no questions when the coach asked).  Rather than let the meeting end like that, I said "Excuse me coach, mind if I ask a question?  My son loves this school, this is where he wants to be, but he got an offer from one of the top academic schools in the country and would be very happy there.  He wants to play here, but I won't let him say no to the other school unless he has an offer from you."  The coach seemed surprised that we were unclear, then went on to very firmly lay out his offer and all he'd do for my son.