Skip to main content

Reply to "Talking to coaches about offers."

@fenwaysouth posted:

This is a delicate topic.  I would only discuss if the coach brings it up and you have to talk about .   You have to be very, very careful what you share.   We had two situations where offers (including FA) needed to be discussed with the Coach because it was a critical path issue for us and a lot of money over 4 years.  

Situation 1 - D1 College 1 had a placeholder offer (25%).   When they found out my son was attending another D1 college's prospect camp (College 2) they upped the offer to 50% and gave him a few days deadline to think it over.  College 1 somehow knew College 2 was going to offer.  College 1's offer was discussed in general terms with College 2 but it was an apples (baseball scholly $$) to oranges (need based financial aid) comparison.   My son handled almost all communication with this situation.

Situation 2 - College 1 and College 2 are in the same D1 conference.  Both offer and include need based financial aid (no athletic scholarships $) packages.   Both have a very low admission rates.   College 1 has a very healthy financial aid package, and it was offered.   We discussed the College 1's FA package with College 2 and they matched it and raised it with a $4K yearly  merit award.    I handled all the communication with the FA office and my son handled the communication with the coaches.

For Sit#2 was it awkward for your boy (or you as well) facing the coaches from College 2?