Skip to main content

Reply to "Talking to coaches at baseball showcase"

I'm not familiar with NCAA rules regarding non scholarship colleges.  Of course the rules do not pertain to NAIA or JUCO.  

It is my understanding that the scholarship schools cannot talk to potential recruits or their parents unless the player calls them. Recruiters can initiate contact, I believe July after the Jr year. The exception is when and if the potential recruit is on campus at the recruiters college.

Obviously there are ways to communicate.  Typically this involves the college coach telling someone he knows (i.e. travel coach) to tell the player to call the recruiter to initiate the discussion.  Often the camps colleges hold will bring in the player for a camp so they can discuss recruiting.  This is how most of the early commitments we see involving sophomores happen.

All that said, I do believe coaches working a camp can talk to the players in an instructional way, maybe even give information.  But it is my understanding that players need to call them or visit the school in order to talk recruiting or offers.  Once again I'm not sure this pertains to non athletic scholarship colleges. At one time, I believe the arm forces academies were exceptions to the rule.  Not sure if that has changed.