Skip to main content

Reply to "talking to players on other teams"

As a coach, I would see it as a teachable moment if anything. Talk with the kids about tuning things out, not getting nervous and staying confident if theres a player, coach, scout, girlfriend, family member, or whoever watching and commenting during the game. Harness that energy and use it to inspire and motivate you to rise to the occasion. He took a chance to teach his kids how to stand up to adversity and tried to make it about me not playing nice or something. its like... did you expect me to come here and help YOU win? I'm with a different team now, man. Keep an eye on your kids and don't worry so much about the other teams coaches. I couldn't imagine as a player complaining about, or getting frazzled by, the usual banter from a 1B coach, and Ive played a lot of 1B. and as a coach, I've got bigger things to worry about, unless the guy is legit mocking my player or something. 

In the moment, when he approached me, I just kind of gave a generic response like "i see what your saying," or something to that effect. I try to give a generic, open ended response in situations like that because I'm almost 100% that I wont give the right response if i answer in the moment. So I leave it open and give myself time to digest it before responding a day or so later. after our correspondence today, I think he knows where I stand and what to expect next time our teams meet, and why... whether he likes it or not.