Skip to main content

Reply to "Talking to the coach"

JETSR71 posted:

2022 decided he wants to handle it.  So, I'll back off.

My basic question was how to deal with the situation.  Coach is very good and the organization is very good.  This is just a hiccup and wanted to deal with it the right way. It will probably come down to a failure to communicate.  15 year old boys don't always hear what they are being told and then it gets interpreted into a swing. We'll see.

And yes, batting average is meaningless in a small window.  It's the quality of the contact that is concerning.  Going from frozen rope, deep gap power to duck farts and dribblers, it's obvious something is up.  Hard hits at people wouldn't concern me.   

Thank you for the input.  

Not sure if you have many opportunities to speak with the coach, but this may help.  

Background... my son was working on pitching mechanics and I was surprised how much he regressed.  Spoke to son about it and he said... 'coach is trying to change some things'.  One day after practice (I didn't stay during practice) I said hello to the pitching coach and said "Hey, son said you guys are working on his pitching mechanics.  How is that going?".  He proceeded to tell me that he was struggling applying what they were working on but was pleased with sons focus and effort to continue to try.  I asked.. is there anything I can do to help while he is at home?  He gave me a couple things to remind him that he thought son was not understanding when he threw and I said okay.  That was the end of the conversation.  Few years later, all those mechanical changes are part of sons delivery today and his performance no only went back to where it was, he improved dramatically.  While I'm comparing apples and oranges since son was not a SO when this happened, it is a thought.

My point of this story is that you mentioned it was driving you crazy that your sons 'power' seems to be gone when not in front of the coaches.  While that's fair, how does your son feel?  What are his thoughts regarding his progress and what the coach is teaching him?  (I did not see where you mentioned this)  Finally, you could ask the coach "Hey, son mentioned that you guys are working on (hitting mechanics) and we spend a lot of time in cages.  Anything I can do to reinforce / look out for what you guys are working on?"  Might help get the dialog going

This may be a moot point now that your son wants to handle it, but I thought I would share a personal experience.  Having a 2022 as well, I feel that every story posted on this website lately reflects what I live day in and day out.  I've been fortunate to have a great relationship with sons coaches over the years.  I worked hard at not trying to impose too much of my own thoughts while trying to support their teachings while son and I practiced together.  In the end, they were very thankful and were always willing to answer my questions so I figured my approach was working. LOL 

As they say.. 'enjoy the ride'.  I keep reminding myself of that everyday.