Skip to main content

Reply to "Tampa vs Boston - Ground Rule Double?"

NewUmpire - I think any one who watched the game would agree with you.  Yes,  the Rays got screwed by the rule book and interpretation (if any) on that one.  It looked to me like the umpires handled it pretty good and explained the ruling.   I didn't see a manager or player lose their mind.   My youngest son and I watched that game from start to finish, and couldn't believe our eyes when they put them on 2nd and 3rd with Zinino coming up and 2 outs.   

Common sense would tell you the 1st base runner would have scored the go ahead run, but the previous hitter (Arozerena) would have been stranded at 3rd base as Zunino struck out (again).  He would not have stolen home.  Vazquez hit a two-runner homer, so in my mind it really didn't affect the outcome, but it did add some drama and get me out of my seat.

Speaking of umpire calls.....did you see the Astros / White Sox game?  Grandal hit a ball to first base with a runner on third.   Astros firstbaseman is playing in, fields the ball, throws home and the ball glances off Grandal's arm/should running to first.   He is clearly blocking the throwing path of the firstbaseman.  Grandal is at least 2 to 2.5 feet running inside the base line.  Trust me, I'm no Astos fan, but they got hosed on that one.   Dusty had a good argument there, but they did not change the call.  That was utterly ridiculous in my mind.

Last edited by fenwaysouth