Skip to main content

Reply to "Tampa vs Boston - Ground Rule Double?"

w/r/t GRD - hard to determine intent in all cases... I suspect we'll see language about knocked or batted into DBT rather than just thrown or kicked... That's a tough one in an important game - over there in RF I could see that happening with that low fence in the corner.

w/r/t Grandal - running lane interference is only applicable on throw to 1B... a requirement to be "in the box" at 45ft could leave a lot of interpretation when a player is out of the lane rounding to go to 2B (I know that's not what happened here). My point is be careful how you interpret that 45 lane - not sure 22and25 has the best wording.

I agree from just the pictures it looks egregious. Still, did the 1B-man have time to take another step inside the diamond in order to clear the runner? Could the C have set up more towards 3B rather than point of plate towards 1B? The picture shows him closer to line than the runner! Does a rule change cause a 1B-man intentionally throw at a runner just to get an interference? Grandal's job is not to make it easier for the fielder especially since he's not out - think other bases (especially 3B -> Home).  Other than running, we wasn't waving his arms or otherwise trying to deflect the ball. He has no idea where the C is. If (most) batters don't appreciate an HBP especially in the face area - imagine how a runner feels with a ball thrown from a fielder with much less "control" anywhere towards the facial area...