Skip to main content

Reply to "Tangent: What do infielders say to baserunners and vice versa?"

Smoke - So, I'll take this tangent on another tangent.    What if a pitcher and first baseman were really good teammates & friends and devised potential conversations in advance (through social media and other means) as a way to distract runners and eventually pick them off?  It just takes a little homework but I've seen it work many, many times. 

My favorite victim was a drafted SS (first team all conference) out of prominent NYC University  school who just couldn't stop talking about himself, the draft, etc, etc.....   The first baseman had him so engaged in conversation he made no attempt to go back to first base when my son threw over.  Son had a pretty good pick move to first.   After the game, I asked my son what that was all about, because from a fans perspective it looked really odd when he didn't even make an attempt to retreat to the bag.   My son came clean.   I saw this happen quite a few times.

So, for you aspiring first baseman out there learn the gift of gab, do some social media homework, and make some good friends with your pitching staff.   They will appreciate it, and you'll both look great in the eyes of the coaching staff.  Pitchers, make your first baseman your newest best buddy.

Last edited by fenwaysouth