Skip to main content

Reply to "Tangent: What do infielders say to baserunners and vice versa?"

My son played SS on his HS travel  team.  He was/is a gabber and will talk to anyone on base as well as the umpires.

Son was chatting with a player at 2B and he always asked if they were committed anywhere.  Player was was from California and says "yeah, I'm committed to Virginia Tech.  Do you know where that is?"  My Virginia boy, whose dad and brother went to VT says "oh yes I know VT well, I'm committed to William and Mary, do you know where that is?"  Nope, he didn't.  But 1-4 years that player found out about W&M lol.

Son was playing an out of state college one weekend for a showcase and he started chatting with the other team's short stop.  The other player says that the coach from W&M is looking at him.  My son says, that same coach is looking at him as well.   Coach offered them both after that weekend.  At least they were different grad years.  But it was awkward during the game and my son knew in advance who he needed to outplay in college (son was moved to 2B so they wound up playing together many games).

His junior year in college his team opens at Florida.  Scouts are everywhere.   It is a big deal for son's mid-major, and they are playing head-to-head during one game.  Son is chatting with everyone that stops by 2B.  Florida's coach is agitated.  Finally the coach comes stomping out of the dugout and yells...."stop talking to that guy!!!".   We all started laughing, but that poor player.....