Skip to main content

Reply to "taped wrists"

quote:
Originally posted by Tooldforthis:
As I keep reading everyone's post, something I've noticed, Almost all reponders have had ways to protect the wrist and forearm with anything from tape, wrist bands, padded wrist bands, Powerade bottles, (love that one!) or anything else thay can find. But not one has ever mentioned that any games were missed because of an injury.
I really think that Catchers are wired differently than most players. They get bumped, bruised, slammed into, run over, you name it, and just get up, dust the dirt off and keep plugging along. I know my son comes home and will lift up his shirt and show me the mark from where he has got hit, somes times leaving the outline of the of the ball and you can see the stitches from the ball ( he's most proud of those). They grab an ice pack than gear up the next day ready to go.
He has played third base on and off for years, but his coaches won't let him anymore because he drops a knee as the throw and runner slide in to third like he's blocking the plate which has caused him to receive 13 stitches in his thigh and forearm from being cleated. And yes, I know, he's not allowed to do that a third.
So to all the catchers out there, in case you never hear it, great job!! Pitchers and fielders get most of the credit. You are the journeymen and backbone of the team. So dust off, put your helmet back on and keep doing your thing.

Ouch, cleats are wicked, I used to get it in the top of the foot, immediate feedback if your foots in the wrong spot.

Funny you should notice the injury issue. I saw my son at 8 catch a pitch off the inside forearm. I called time and went to check on him. He says "Dad thats the third one today I'm used to it". Yes they are wired differently.