Skip to main content

Reply to "Teaching Hitting to kids"

THop,

Pretty good stuff in my opinion.

Could add what pitch pitcher can throw for strikes, to the mix. Doesn't take long to figure that out in most cases. I'm a big believer in the 2 strike approach/adjustment.

From a winning stand point vs a hitting stand point... I like hitters leading off an inning understanding full counts are different in that situation. 50-50 pitches near the black need to be taken. In theory, it leads to .500% OBP and 50% taking strike 3. (Evaluating the umpire that you mentioned is important). These 50-50 pitches would result in a very poor batting average if swung at. It takes a real team player and the right situation (job is to get on base/leading off an inning), but it can win games.

I've felt good and patted hitters on the back who have taken strike 3, leading off an inning, on legitimate 50-50 pitches with a full count because they're more interested in winning the game than being the star.

While this kind of thinking has nothing to do with scouting it has a lot to do with coaching and winning. Just as the other things you've mentioned.