Skip to main content

Reply to "Teaching your son to control his emotions in a ball game."

My son is also a pitcher and has been faced with giving up unearned runs due to errors. He would never say anything bad about a teammate. We have talked after games on the way home Nd I may mention that such and such a play should have been made and he just kind of says he knows. But he would never bring it up and complain. I told him not long ago that something he needs to work on is preventing unearned runs from scoring. Guy gets on on an error, he really needs to work harder to keep that run from scoring. He agreed.

Errors are going to happen. Period. As a pitcher, how do you respond? That is a big, big part of who you are as a ball player. Take responsibility, work harder to get around those mistakes.

We had a kid on one of our teams a few years ago who would throw temper tantrums if things didn't go his way. He would get mad at the umps, his teammates and even himself. Got old quick - we wound up kicking him off the team because he was a cancer. He was a pretty darn good player too. None of the kids or parents complained when we did it. They thought it was long overdue.