Skip to main content

Reply to "Teaching your son to control his emotions in a ball game."

quote:
Originally posted by catchersdad:
Speaking of GOLD , observer44 has just spun another golden one!

catchersdad

ob44 - that is an awesome post as usual! I believe the words winning and leadership are almost the same thing.

Along with the other great posts in this thread, itsinthegame's post above also was excellent!

Here is a slightly different take on controlling emotions. The time to learn how to control the emotions is before the pitch is pitched not after. Lets assume your son is pitching and there is a guy on first base and his objective is to get a ground ball for a potential double play. Before letting the ball fly he can quickly go down the list of outcomes in his mind:

1) If I get a ground ball, at minimum I have done my job.

2) If my teammates turn the double play, I won't pound my chest but point to them so they get the credit for making the play. Always make it about the other guys.

3) If the teammate screws up, nod to him and tell him you will try and get him another ground ball. Let him know that you have his back.

All these things can be imagined before the play occurs. When something happens, you already know how you will react. Always make it about praising another teammate for a job well done or picking them up if they make a mistake. You do this and you will get guys making full-extension dive plays behind you because they "love" playing with you. You do these things and your teammates will make you look like a better player than you actually are.

This all gets back to leadership as ob44 so elequently described above. Leadership is about caring about the welfare of the team more than one cares about the welfare of themselves. The leaders always take care of themselves last.